I have been slowly reading the book "a grace disguised: how the soul grows through loss". I read it slowly as it is a lot to take in and each chapter has so much depth and meaning for my own life. The book is written by a man who lost his mom, wife and daughter in a car accident - hit by a drunk driver.
The chapter I recently read is called why not me. I know a question I have asked myself often is why me. Maybe my friends and family have asked the same thing when they heard about my loss. It is a tragedy and terrible injustice that has occurred. It is an example though of how none of us are really safe. Loss deprives us of control.
Losing Angel has introduced Jeff and I to a fellowship of suffering that spans the world. A side of life many people in the world know all too well.
The author talks about how despite his tragedy he hardly qualifies to be part of the fellowship. I relate to what he says. Jeff and I have a blessed life, we have a happy, secure and prosperous life, that was interrupted by our loss. Despite our loss, we live a life full of comfort, in a good community, with loving family and friends. We have good jobs and can travel the world and are free to pursue our interests. That is more than many can say.
Can we really expect to live an entire lifetime without disappointment and suffering? Is this expectation unrealistic and perhaps even arrogant?
We didn't deserve to lose Angel. But do we deserve all we have still?
We have undeserved pain and undeserved grace.

Oh good good good! I'm SO glad you're reading A Grace Disguised. Someone recommended it to me right after Eve died, and I gobbled it down, and it has been so foundational for me in how I look at and approach grief. And that question -- why NOT me?? -- was so profound in helping shift my perspective. So glad for you! I hope this book continues to be helpful and healing.
ReplyDelete