For the second year, I am participating in Angie's blog round up, Right Where I am.
But when I really reflect on it I know I have changed. In some ways I feel a lot stronger and I have learned how to cope with things as best I know how.
I have put myself out there and tried just about anything to heal. Individual counselling, group support, online support, reading and writing about grief and losing a child. Creating and tending to Angel's garden.
I am still learning. I accept there is no end line and no closure and not to expect that. I live in that fine balance of joy and sorrow. I grab on to the happy moments in life as hard as I can.
I know that I feel most whole when I can be my complete and authentic self and can speak about my loss and my daughter and feel love and support. I have less time for frivolous relationships that aren't reciprocal. I can say I have no desire to put myself in places that trigger me, like baby showers or kids parties. I am still selfish in that regard, but it is about self preservation for me and why do something that will take me 10 steps back in my journey? It is a sacrifice I don't want to make, at least not right now.
I can say that I feel Angel's presence a lot. Jeff and I have talked about this because we both do. I know her spirit is with me, with us. I don't need to necessarily write it all down here, what I feel and how much I love and miss her...she knows. I know she does.
I know she would say to me "move forward, all will be well." She is my "caim."

The second year is hard. Keep on breathing, keep doing the things you need to do to tend to your love and grief. And skipping showers and kids parties, not selfish at all. Thank you for being part of this project—honoring your Angel with you.
ReplyDelete<3 love this. I love that she is refuge and sanctuary for you. Next year it will be year three for both of us. I don't know how life will change, how the world will change, how my perceptions and pains and sensitivities will change. But, to be honest, I am hoping for less. . .despair. I still miss my boy desperately.
ReplyDeleteWishing we both had toddlers and birthday parties to plan <3
I love your description of Angel as your 'caim' - your sanctuary and protection. I feel that you are hers too.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter. I often feel that, even five years later, that nothing much has particularly changed for me. But, like you, when I re-examine and reflect I realise that I have changed as time has passed. I don't think it is selfish to want to avoid baby showers or children's parties, it IS self preservation to avoid something that is so painful.