I was thinking today about this time last year. Jeff and I were getting back from Jamaica and coming home felt like stepping back into a black hole. As the seasons change I feel another wave of emotion. I feel the sadness of moving farther away from her. I am also pulled back to the fall of last year and I recall how bleak those days were. A year later I am grateful that although I am not "better" I have a pretty solid toolbox of coping skills that I can draw on.
I also feel a sense of loneliness with the grief. Those that want to think about or talk about Angel with me, outside of the blm community, are few and far between.
I think if I had been in a tragic accident where I had lost my vision or a limb, or become disabled, perhaps people would continue to be reminded of how much inner strength it takes to continue to move forward. I would have that visible reminder that could be pointed to. As it is now, there isn't any outward reminder of my pain. It is a hidden heartbreak, an internal burden that I will always carry.
It jumps out and takes your breath away at times.
I was at a friends wedding last week and her daughter sang at the ceremony. Most of the guests teared up because it was such a touching moment. I teared up for that reason but also because it hit me then and there how I will never see Angel perform a song, either in a school concert, or at a special event like that, or even overhear her singing along to the radio in her room.
It hits me ever so often what Jeff and I have been robbed of. I think now we can cope somewhat better with knowing this, now there is a sense of acceptance, but at times the pain can feel so very raw.
This is the second year of grief. Still learning to live without her here.

I so identify with what you wrote here: "
ReplyDeleteI think if I had been in a tragic accident where I had lost my vision or a limb, or become disabled, perhaps people would continue to be reminded of how much inner strength it takes to continue to move forward. I would have that visible reminder that could be pointed to. As it is now, there isn't any outward reminder of my pain. It is a hidden heartbreak, an internal burden that I will always carry."
I have felt that way nearly since the beginning of this grief. How can something so devastating and wounding have happened, but there is no physical mark or exterior reminder of it? It has changed (or is changing) EVERYTHING about me, and yet I look the same on the outside. At the beginning of my grief, I longed to lose a limb or get breast cancer or something that would physically change me forever. I still do want to get a tattoo, once our rainbow is born, as a way of providing for this longing, but of course that's not the same. Anyway, thank you for sharing that. Big hugs.
I went to my niece's wedding just a few months after Nathaniel died, and I couldn't help but cry because he would never have a wedding. It's so hard to know that all of these milestones, all of these events will never happen for our babies. Sending love as you start this second year round the calendar without Angel <3
ReplyDelete