Sunday, 20 January 2013

Daruma doll

I received the most touching gift this week from a dear friend I have made online, one of the women in my support network that has pulled me through so much since losing Angel.
My friend Lauren sent me this Daruma doll all the way from Tokyo! She knew I was having a hard time around the holidays and I really appreciate the gesture.

Some Info in it:
Named after an ancient Chinese Zen Master, Bodidharma, who lost the use of his arms and legs after sitting nine years meditating in a cave, the Daruma Doll is a symbol of his self-discipline and positive outlook. Its weighted bottom and rounded shape forces this ancient cultural doll to right itself after being knocked over, teaching us to be dedicated and persistent and symbolizing our recoveries from misfortune.

The Daruma doll comes with both eyes blank. Upon purchasing or receiving it as a gift, you paint one eye and make a wish or begin a new project. The second eye is painted when the wish comes true or the project is completed.

The dolls can be purchased anytime but are often purchased around the holidays. Most are kept for only 1 year when they are collected and burned and blessed by a priest in a ritual called "daruma kuyo".

Nanakorobi yaoki, jinsei wa kore kara da...
translated into English means
To fall seven times,
to rise eight times,
life starts from now...







1 comment:

  1. <3 I love this. I love the way they've found a ritual around perseverance and resiliency. Before my baby died, I thought I was resilient and could survive anything. For many months since he's been gone, I didn't know whether this was true or not. There are still times when I don't know whether or not I will survive this loss. Your friend is so sweet and thoughtful.

    I'm glad the holidays are over <3

    ReplyDelete