Yesterday I received an unexpected call...out of the blue on a Friday afternoon. It was Ruth, the woman who received the memory box I donated to st Joseph's hospital on Angel's first birthday. It took me a moment to realize what she was saying but then it clicked --- and my heart broke for her. She lost her son Samuel last week, at 23 weeks.
It is beyond comprehending that women have to go through this heartache. I wish no one needed to use that box that I donated. But if that has to be the case, I am glad that it may have helped Ruth during those precious moments with her son.
One thing she said really resonated me and validated that my donation made a difference. She said when she found out her baby was gone, she decided she wouldn't hold him or take photos. Then, when she went to the hospital for induction she was given my box and read my letter. My letter convinced her to hold Samuel and take photos. She said to me how thankful she was for that advice, because even just over a week later, she realizes how precious that time was and how much she will treasure the photos.
I can't help but feel that Angel's life has touched and helped her. That is so very special to me, it has brought tears to my eyes several times just thinking about it.
To know that something important has come from my experience and from Angel's life --- well I can't really describe what that means for me.
It is healing, it is heart breaking, it is love and light.

What a beautiful post. I'm sitting here crying. What a beautiful gift to offer - and what an incredible way to reach out. I found out at 38 weeks that Nathaniel's chance of surviving - anything, actually - was next to nil. How he put himself together in the first place baffles pretty much everyone. Knowing that he would not survive gave me a chance to prepare for his death before he was even dead. That was one thing I heard over and over again. Take pictures. Hold your baby. Give your baby a bath. And I'm so glad that I found that out before he was born. I can't imagine what I would have done if I had no time to prepare, or what kinds of choices I would have made had I not been warned about the world of baby loss. I did get a box at the hospital but I don't know who donated it. I still have it, and will keep it forever. The contents of your box are so sweet and so beautiful. That is so wonderful that Ruth had the opportunity to call you, and that you can be there for another babylost mom, especially during these early days <3
ReplyDelete