Wednesday, 18 January 2012

The little things make all the difference

Yesterday, I met my mentor/director friend for coffee.  I haven't seen her since I lost Angel.  She actually invited me to meet her and she talked about a potential opportunity working for her, which is another story but made me feel good nonetheless - it is nice to be wanted!  It is strange how this loss impacts all sorts of facets of your life.  Losing Angel is a blow to my confidence in myself, and to know that others hold me in high regard when it comes to my work reputation and that I am "wanted" does help to reboost some of my confidence again.

What I really wanted to talk about though is how she spoke to me about Angel and how compassionate and perfect she was in acknowledging this loss.  She could have easily pretended it didn't happen and skirted around the issue.  But she genuinely asked how I was doing since, she talked about how her thoughts had been with me, as had so many of our friends and colleagues.  She made me remember the support we recieved in those horrible early days and how many people came out for us at Angel's service of rememberance.  She talked about how she couldn't possibly understand losing a child but that she knows that this has forever changed my perspective, that our daughter will live forever in our hearts and we will continue to integrate her memory into our lives as we move forward.  She said all the right things and little things, little words like this make all the difference to me.  That is all I really want from friends that want to share the journey.  Acknowledge what it is, that Angel existed and how important she will always be to me.  She also hugged me as we left.  My heart felt uplifted by the conversation.  I can't help but think that Angel has influenced so many relationships in my life, and brought me closer to many people.  In some cases, it has also led people to distance themselves, but I am so grateful for the relationships that have deepened.

I thought this photo below was the right illustration for the sentiment of this post. My heart was uplifted....
This is "a heart from heaven."


Heart from heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment