Monday, 2 July 2012

An asset, rather than a burden


For all those times when I've worried about making others uncomfortable in my grief.....
"Death is the one sure thing in life and yet it is the most dreaded conversation topic of all time. Society even try to deny its profound impact on the bereaved friends and family by expecting them to "get over it" in a flash. People expects us to be quiet about our grief because heaven forbid that we might make THEM feel slightly uncomfortable if we accidently let a little bit of our pain slip out in public. This way of thinking needs to change! Everyone will experience a painful loss at one point or another in life so isn't it about time we step up to the challenge and talk openly about this devastating journey that we'll all have to embark upon sooner or later? Some of us have already been travelling this painful road for years and those of you who have yet to experience a loss, should view us as an important asset rather than a burden."

~The Complicated Grief Association

It is so true that none of us are immune to loss.  Why can't we just comfort one another rather than skirting around things like there isn't an elephant in the room?  For those people in my life that have reached out and given me words or a guestures of comfort, I am beyond grateful - they are like precious jewels.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. But I suppose that the universality of death and grief is perhaps what makes people shy away? I wonder if there is a lot of unnamed fear that keeps people from wanting to engage in this area. I can understand that, even while it sucks even more to be here when people want to ignore it. :/

    ReplyDelete