Wednesday, 25 July 2012

It is a priviledge to know of her

I started a new job this week and one thing I am sort of dreading being asked is "do you have any kids?" I've thought about how I might answer and at this time, being brand new to this organization and to these relationships, I think I will likely say no.  My reasoning is - I barely know any of these people at this stage, and I also don't want to immediately change the professional, office dynamic by getting into a conversation that is extremely personal and highly emotional for me.  I also feel that it is an earned priviledge for new people in my life to know about Angel and to also get to know that level of detail and intimacy about me.

Do I feel guilty saying no?  Of course! I don't want to pretend she didn't exist and that she isn't a part of my life.  But - I will decide, at the right time, if and when I choose to speak about her to any of my new colleagues.  I wouldn't expect them to open up with me right away about personal hardships or tragedies either, although I am open to developing these type of close relationships with my colleagues, where this could become part of what we know about eachother.

Just because I don't speak of her doesn't mean she isn't incredibly important -- this is another way of me protecting her memory and protecting myself too, by not making her a subject of "casual discourse." 

She deserves more than that.

I carry Angel in my heart always - and I choose who gets to see that part of my heart.

hearts

2 comments:

  1. I avoid this question at all cost...however, it comes when I least want it to and its a difficult one to answer.
    I was actually asked it today and I answered "no". I hated answering no, but I didn't want to get into it with a complete stranger and to be honest, I always feel worse having to see someone give me sympathy about their question.

    It's hard...and I feel guilt for saying no, but I think for the most part I try not to dwell on the guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting the job!

    That is such a hard question.I get asked a lot if this is my first baby and I struggle with the answer every single time. When I do say yes, in my head I always say "the first to make it this far" or something like that. Or to the "do you have any kids" questions, if I say no, I say to myself "not that I get to raise". I feel like there is always a disclaimer I say to myself if I don't tell people about Jacob. I have said that this isn't my first and it isn't always terribly awkward, but sometimes it is and I quickly change the subject. We have a lifetime of having to live with questions like these and it sucks. I don't know if the internal battle of how to answer it ever goes away.

    ReplyDelete