Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Facing Mother's Day

There has been alot of discussion with my babyloss friends and in the broader babyloss community about Mother's Day.

What would I like other people to know about Mother's Day? 

That the number one thing I hear from my babyloss friends is they fear they will be forgotten.  Unfortunately this is probably fairly likely in many families.   Often the babies that we have lost are not counted among the family, as children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and therefore if you are a mother to only an angel baby, your motherhood doesn't count.

What else would I like people to know? 

That even though I don't care for a child on a daily basis… I'm still a Mom. I still carried my baby for 31 weeks and 5 days.  I still felt her kicking. I still gave birth. I still would have given my own life to save hers. I still think of her everyday. I am still a Mom.

May 6th has actually been marked as International Bereaved Mother's Day.  I like that we do get our own day, as we probably would get lost in the shuffle of the regular Mother's Day celebrations the following week.  On May 6th, I will be sending my love to all of my babyloss friends, my fellow moms facing the hardest journey I've ever know.

"Now that you are gone, my heart is broken. But because you were once here, it is completely filled with love."

3 comments:

  1. Yes! I'm glad you wrote about this, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I saw you comment on Beth's blog and came over to visit. Saying a prayer that your family would remember and love you and your sweet baby girl. I have many children but how I am hoping that my family will remember that some one very special is missing. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother's Day is hard. You see all these mother's being celebrated, but people tiptoe around you and don't say anything. I don't think I went anywhere last Mother's Day because I just didn't need to see it, the families at restaurants and stuff like that. I hope Mother's Day is as gentle as possible. I know you are a Mom, and an excellent one.

    ReplyDelete