Friday, 10 August 2012

Memory box donation

Jeff and I went back to St Joseph's hospital today to do the memory box donation. Luckily they have created a new maternity wing so we went to a different part of the hospital from where I was admitted on this date last year. We met with the social worker there, Kim, that helped us. We had a nice meeting with her and I showed her what I included in the box. The items were:
A scented candle
A mom of an angel bracelet
A parent of an angel pin
A teddy bear
A notebook and pen
2 blankets - one to wrap their baby in while they visited and then take home with them and a second blanket to wrap the baby in when they leave
Some resources -- information on now I lay me down to sleep that does memorial photography and some info on faces of loss
A knitted hat my mom made
A letter from me that included some things they may want to do with their baby and also my contact info if they want to reach out to me.

I asked Kim how often a woman comes in and loses her baby and she said there are 20 to 25 cases per year. The number doesn't really surprise me but it does make me so sad.

I really hope this box helps another mom in need. I hope they contact me and that I can offer some comfort. This is my wish, in Angel's honor.

3 comments:

  1. What a great gift this will be. I just wish no one had reason to use it, ever. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the items in the box. I'm so glad that they have a new maternity ward and you didn't have to go back to the same place.

    ReplyDelete