Friday, 31 August 2012

The call

Last night Jeff and I got "the call."  His coworker's friend lost her baby boy, Noah, on Monday of this week, at full term.  We were reached out to for advice and resources. 
I knew this would happen at some point, and I had thought maybe it would be from the hospital/memory box recipient, but all the same, I am glad that I can help someone else who is going through this heartbreaking experience.  Glad that I can be there but devastated for her and for the loss of her precious son. 

It took us back to the early days for sure.  Jeff told me as soon as I walked in the door.  At first I said "No" and was shocked really...then I went upstairs and saw Angel's picture and I just cried.   


Art:  "Miscarriage" - Illustration by Sarah Wilkins
 
I have to say, I did have to struggle a bit to try to put myself back in that place, 5 days after it happened.  What was I really thinking and feeling and what did I need most?  Although I have flashbacks to that time often, I know that I have overcome so much in this past year.  I feel strong enough to reach back and grab someone else's hand.   

I didn't want to overwhelm her with resources, but I sent her a few key things - online resources and face to face groups she could join.  I also sent her a letter from Little Bird, for moms and dads that have lost a baby, and I told her about my experience with individual counselling and how it could help her cope.  I also gave my contact info. I hope that she contacts me. 

Today is the funeral for Noah....fly high.....

Pinned Image

2 comments:

  1. Oh no. Not another baby. So sad. :(

    But if they have to go through this, I'm glad that they have you to talk to. I'm sure that your words and presence and KNOWING will be a gift to them in the end. Big hugs to them, and to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart broke as I read this. I feel so devastating for them. Knowing the very dark place they are in right now too. What an absolute nightmare. I'm glad that you sent them those resources. I hope that she contacts you as well. I know that you will be a big help to her.

    ReplyDelete