We held it at James Gardens, the same park we had our wedding photos done at in 2003. On the way over, I remember feeling like I was going to be sick to my stomach. I think that was partly the shock of what we were about to do - and the turn of events I was still trying to come to terms with. At the same time, I knew this was so important for us to give her a sendoff that we wanted, in her honour.
It was a perfect, sunny day and the park was so calm and beautiful.
I will never forget how many of our friends and family came out that day, to show their love and support.



Jeff and I wrote the service, and we tried to focus on our love for Angel and also what lessons we had learned from this experience. I feel it was a message of love - for her and for everyone there - not to let a day go by without showing compassion for others on this Earth.
Jeff got up and spoke twice - once was a preplanned speech that he prepared, talking about what Angel has taught us. The second time - the masters of ceremony left out a key story we wanted told near the end, so he stepped in and told it, without any notes. I am so proud of his courage and strength that he showed that day. I know I didn't have the frame of mind to speak at that time.

At the end of the service, we did a butterfly release.

One of the butterflies landed on the blanket I had brought, that I was sitting on earlier.



Driving home afterwards, with Angel's urn in my lap, I couldn't help but think that I should be holding her, not her urn.

I shall remember you for as long
as there are fields of snow
and there are flowers in the ground
with strength to grow.
As long as there are stars above
and moonbeams on the sea,
and just as long as there are songs
of love and memory.
as there are fields of snow
and there are flowers in the ground
with strength to grow.
As long as there are stars above
and moonbeams on the sea,
and just as long as there are songs
of love and memory.
I shall remember you today
and dream of you tonight,
and look for you tomorrow when
the sun begins to light.
Whatever season, month or year,
this much will be the same,
the only sound of joy will be,
the mention of your name.
I shall remember you for as long
As there are earth and sky.
And all eternity
may take to say good bye.
~ James Metcalfe
and dream of you tonight,
and look for you tomorrow when
the sun begins to light.
Whatever season, month or year,
this much will be the same,
the only sound of joy will be,
the mention of your name.
I shall remember you for as long
As there are earth and sky.
And all eternity
may take to say good bye.
~ James Metcalfe
big hugs. it sounds like a lovely service.
ReplyDeleteWe had Jacob's memorial service at the same place where we had wedding pictures done too. It's hard to look at them now without thinking that less than a year later, we would be burying our baby in the same place. I love hat so many people came to honour Angel and to support you and Jeff. Seeing them all there brings tears to my eyes. I know your mind was still reeling at the time, trying to absorb and understand everything that had happened. I'm sure that the butterfly landing on the blanket you were sitting on was a sign from her. I went to a dove release in October 2011 and after it was over, we stood watching a dove that had stayed in a nearby tree. The woman who brought them said that there is always one dove that stays at events like these. I just love these signs from our babies. At least it is something that we get.
ReplyDelete