"What Ms. Kingston labels as "oversharing", we at PBSO encourage as healthy grieving. We do not identify taking pictures or sharing our stories as public parades of grief, but as sincere ackowledgement of loss. Only when one's loss is recognized, can one effectively grieve. Our society is not comfortable with death, particularly when involving miscarriage, stillbirth or infant death. Depth of grief is not related to length of gestation but rather to the attachment families have."
I think there are probaby alot of people out there that try to qualify grief. Like - if you lost your child at 1 year old instead of 7 months gestation that would hurt so much worse. Or taking that further, losing your child at 5, 10, 15, 20 years old, etc. And you know what I can't speak to those other experiences and I don't want to get into a debate about that. Ultimately though, Jeff and I lost our daughter. As another post on here mentioned, she was a real, little person with a heart, soul, body, limbs, and face that looked like us. We felt and still feel an incredibly strong attachment to her as she is a part of us. To try to minimize the grief that is felt, just because she was an infant, born at 31 weeks, is incredibly hurtful and magnifies the pain of this experience. And I think it is totally unnecessary to argue it.

I'm glad PBSO responded to that article. It was so maddening. I hope McLeans prints the PBSO response.
ReplyDeleteI never read Maclean's magazine but my parents have a subscription to it and since I was visiting them in Florida last week I actually read this article and thought of you immediately. I agree with you that it wasent a very nice article and very incosiderate towards greiving parents, not to mention inaccurate in some of what was said.
ReplyDelete